Saturday, January 30, 2016

What A Wonderful World



I see trees of green, 
red roses too. 
I see them bloom, 
for me and you. 
And I think to myself,
what a wonderful world. 

I see skies of blue, 
And clouds of white. 
The bright blessed day, 
The dark sacred night
And I think to myself, 
What a wonderful world.



There I was, in a school gym-- full of 150 squirming 150 first graders on the risers, a sea of what seemed like 800 parents,grandparents, siblings of children singing that fateful afternoon.  My little boy- my firstborn spotted me and waved frantically at me and signed "I LOVE YOU MOMMY" (instant heart melt here folks)  He was happy.  There I was, in my own special area they marked off for me D/HH.  Suddenly-- rows full of chairs popped up... I sighed to myself-- typical hearing people.  The principal ran up to me and said are you OK? I'm like... Yeah sure I guess... its just " whatever" My friends that I had made over the 2 short- beautiful years since my son started going to school there started texting me.... Are you OK? "those hearing people are really stupid" (LOL) (I giggled to myself)  I'll make videos in case you can't see. <3 My interpreter ran up to me and was like-- oh god all those people! SO SORRY!! Yeah,Yeah, the principal walked over again and explained quietly that he could ask people to move... I was like, for once, I want what I want.  Yes! ask someone to move... where? uhh i'd like to sit over there (closer to center stage) He did.  I waddled over with my 4 year old and waved at people along the way. I sat down.  I realized no one cried, no one freaked, no one yelled.  Wow, the world didn't end because I asked nicely as a deaf person to be treated equally to my peers and have access that everyone else has.  2 cute 6/7 year olds come forward and said... this is a song about the world, and the things in it.... and they began to sing.... I see trees of green, red roses too.  I see them bloom for me and you, and I think to myself-- what a wonderful world.  I began to tear up.  I thought about how proud i was of my son, and the long journey we've taken together since he was born.  That indescribable joy. I thought then to myself, It has been a crazy few months even with "bright blessed day" and the struggles we've had "dark sacred nights" and how we continue to find ways to think to ourselves often walking along the way, "What a wonderful world" 


The colors of the rainbow, 
So pretty in the sky. 
Are also on the faces, 
Of people going by, 
I see friends shaking hands. 
Saying, "How do you do?" 
They're really saying, 
"I love you". 

I hear babies cry
I watch them grow, 
They'll learn much more, 
Than I'll ever know. 
And I think to myself, 
What a wonderful world. 

Yes, I think to myself, 
What a wonderful world. 

This world that we have is so diverse, so original.... "so pretty in the sky" I find mothering a 6 year old is much more challenging than mothering a 2 year old.  This is when I begin to teach about Diversity- and loving yourself, and Bullies and hate.  I hate that I, have to as a mother teach my children why that happens in this world.  Again, I think to myself of the HOPE that we teach our children it's so important to have manners, and care for others.

This struck me more than anything else as a mother... I hear babies cry, and they grow, and they'll learn much more than we'll ever know.  Life will always change. it is Evolving.  There are the first times your children do things.. and then the thousands and hundreds of times, then one day, it's the last time, and they never do it again.  I am constantly amazed at the things my children learn. I hope your love for learning never stops.  It truly is what keeps the world moving.  Yes, I think to myself.... What a wonderful world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment